The last thing you want to hear is….My house is on Fire!
This blog is a side step from our regular business blog. There are times in our daily lives in which precedence reigns over everything else, i.e the welfare of the family. This blog is written at such a personal level. It will describe our first fire experience which thank God did not end in tragedy. We hope by sharing our catastrophic fire experience, we may provide some helpful information to aid you in case you are ever in this type of situation. We will take you through all our experiences of the fire and our experiences after the fire.
You may know us from our several web sites and web pages, but beside these business adventures, we also have a rental property next door to our home. This property was rented to our single parent daughter and her 14 yrs. Old son… Austin. On the 18th of this February, Presidents Day, a school Holiday… our grandson… Austin was at home. Around 2 p.m. Austin started smelling smoke coming from the direction of the kitchen. As he started towards the kitchen to investigate, the smoke detectors started going off! From a distance he could see a fire coming from the back of the microwave next to the wall! He came running into our home barefooted… telling us their house next door was on fire! My wife quickly put on her shoes and coat… and ran next door to investigate. Upon checking it out, Carrol came running over and told me to call 911 to report a fire! Mean while, Austin had gotten his shoes on and had grabbed his Pug dog to bring over to our place. He dropped the pug off and asked for our fire extinguisher to try and put out the fire! But when Carrol saw how much smoke and fire was coming from the back porch, she told Austin to forget it… the fire was too big! Austin still tried to fight the fire by opening the back porch door just enough to spray the flames, but the fire and heat was just too much!
The fire department in our small town is a volunteer company and is located just two blocks from our home. It took them about 7-10 minutes to get here… it seemed like an eternity! All we could do was watch the fire devour the rental house… we watched it progress to the kitchen… flames dancing freely about the walls… then dancing on the roof! All this time, the flames were shooting several feet into the air… caught by the gusty winds which fanned those dancing flames towards more areas of our two story rental house. All we could do was stand there and wait for the firemen to get there… waiting in total helplessness! Then we realized the other dog named snoopy… was in the back yard with all the smoke and sparks blowing around him! This dog belongs to our other grandson, Johnathon who is attending the University of Illinois. So Austin and Carrol ran to his cage… choking on the hot smoke all the time… managing to open the gate and get him over to our back yard! Then the first fire truck arrived on scene, but by this time the fire had entered the master bedroom which is under the second story! It seemed the fire was moving faster than the firemen. (Time seemed to fly when only seconds had actually gone by). Next thing we remembered was, seeing five different communities’ fire departments joining in to fight the fire. They had responded to the call for help! Yet another community sent an ambulance to take our grandson, Austin, to the hospital for treatment due to smoke inhalation. He was treated and released later that evening… thank God. And once again we saw His hands at work proving to us all… When in the hour of your direst need… to your side my angels shall speed! This blog is just PART 1… More Parts are to follow… including how our Insurance company… METLIFE came to our aid.